Welcome

Hello and welcome to my moth Blog. I now reside in a small village in East Cambridgeshire called Fordham. My Blog's aim is to promote and encourage others to participate in the wonderful hobby that is Moth-trapping.
Moth records are vital for building a picture of our ecosystem around us, as they really are the bottom of the food chain. They are an excellent early indicator of how healthy a habitat is. I openly encourage people to share their findings via social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter & Instagram.
So why do we do it? well for some people it is to get an insight into the world of Moths, for others it is to build a list of species much like 'Twitching' in the Bird world. The reason I do it....you just never know what you might find when you open up that trap! I hope to show what different species inhabit Cambridgeshire and neighbouring counties.
On this Blog you will find up-to-date records and pictures.
I run a trap regularly in my garden and also enjoy doing field trips to various localities over several different counties.
Please also check out the links in the sidebar to the right for other people's Blogs and informative Websites.
Thanks for looking and happy Mothing!

KEY

NFY = New Species For The Year
NFG = New Species For The Garden
NEW! = New Species For My Records

Any Species highlighted in RED signifies a totally new species for my records.

If you have any questions or enquiries then please feel free to email me
Contact Email : bensale@rocketmail.com

My Latest Notables and Rarities

Sunday 26 March 2017

A week goes by with nothing new!

It's been slow times in my garden of late and the numbers have been decreasing with little variety to show for it.
Still, I soldier on hoping that the tides are about to change and in fact they could be really soon and as soon as Monday night.
Here are four of my recent catches from last week and into the weekend.

I switched back to the 40w Actinic as some of the nights were pretty cold and I couldn't justify running the 125w MV bulb.

Also with the aid of a thermometer I will now record the temperature in the morning when i'm going through the trap, typically at 6.30am currently.

Catch Report - 21/03/17 - Back Garden - Stevenage - 1x 40w Actinic Robinson Trap - Cold/Clear 5c

Macro Moths

2x Clouded Drab
1x Common Quaker
2x Double-striped Pug
6x Hebrew Character
1x Small Quaker
 
Micro Moths

1x Diurnea fagella


Catch Report - 22/03/17 - Back Garden - Stevenage - 1x 40w Actinic Robinson Trap - Cold/Clear 4c

Macro Moths

1x Early Grey
1x Hebrew Character
 
Micro Moths

1x Diurnea fagella
1x Epiphyas postvittana


Catch Report - 24/03/17 - Back Garden - Stevenage - 1x 40w Actinic Robinson Trap - Cold/Clear 3c

Macro Moths

2x Clouded Drab
6x Common Quaker
2x Hebrew Character
 
Micro Moths

None Recorded!


Catch Report - 25/03/17 - Back Garden - Stevenage - 1x 125w MV Robinson Trap - Cold/Clear 1.5c

Macro Moths

1x Double-striped Pug
1x Hebrew Character
 
Micro Moths

1x Diurnea fagella

Diurnea fagella

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment